3 Choke To Death By Carbon Monoxide Fumes From Jiko In Mukuru Slums, Nairobi


Three people met their deaths this morning after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes – a poisonous, colourless, odourless flammable gas formed by incomplete combustion of carbon.

The three deceased people whose bodies police have moved to the mortuary, got choked to death inside their room in Mukuru slums, Nairobi.

It is believed that the victims, consisting of two women and a man, died while cooking with a jiko found inside their house.

Police said they discovered a mixture of beans and maize (nyoyo) boiling on a jiko when they arrived to move the bodies long after they had died.

Read Also: A Pregnant Woman Gets Almost Burned Out As Husband Sets Her On Fire

According to Police, the deceased are Ugandan citizens who had stayed in the house for the past few months.

The security forces, speaking through Makadara OCPD Nehemiah Langat, stated:

We suspect they died after inhaling carbon monoxide from the jiko. They had no physical injuries at the time the bodies were discovered.

Acknowledging the incident is becoming more regular than not in Nairobi, Nehemiah Langat explained they were told long after the incident took place.

Albeit jiko poisonous fumes are suspected to have stifled the deceased, Police say it will carry out post-mortem procedure on the bodies to determine precisely what could have killed the three healthy-looking people.

The security team urged locals to cook outside their homes especially when cooking with their jiko in a not-so-spacious room.

Read Also: What Might Have Caused The Death Of Angela Chibalonza’s Sister

Recall that the same carbon monoxide gas from jiko was suspected to have caused the death of Mammy Rugina, the sister to the late big gospel artist Angela Chibalonz just a few days ago.

Mammy died in her bathroom in Embakasi in a similar incident as she boiled a concoction of herbal medicine to treat a flu using a jiko.

You are advised to cook onward, in an open space when using a jiko for cooking to avoid stocking your lungs with deadly gases that can lead to immediate death!

It Is Also Good You Let Others Know By Sharing This Story.

Read Also:  Tanzanian Student Stripped And Beaten In Bengaluru, India.