She Took An Antibiotic Drug, But What Comes Next Will Leave You In Tears


A 14 year old girl Amina Ibrahim sustains burns before finally giving up to death for taking a common antibiotic antibiotic drug (septrin).

The young Nigerian girl’s health problems started the moment she took the drug as she began reacting to the drugs. Reports show Amina bought her septrin from a local drug dispenser in their neighbourhood, popularly called ‘chemists’ across Nigeria.

On May 26, Amina felt sick and headed to a nearby chemist in Dala council area of Kano state, Nigeria with her younger brother. On arrival, she met the chemist’s 19-year old. She complained what was wrong with her to the teenager at the shop who was available at the moment.

The young medicine seller with no formal knowledge prescribed Septrin to Amina, alleging that it would help calm the discomfort she was feeling. Moments after she took the drugs, Amina started reacting to it.

Mrs. Ibrahim, Amina’s mother, narrates that the pain was unbearable for the young girl. They checked the expiry date on the drug sachet to be sure it had not expired, but could not find any date on it.

Read Also: Bizarre: One-Year-Old Baby Develops Sexual Urges And Pubic Hair

The next day, Amina returned to the chemist to complain of her reaction to the drug, but the chemist said Amina was developing symptoms of chicken pox and that she would need to be placed on injection and other drugs to fight the sickness.

14 year old Amina Ibrahim Sustains Antibiotic burns

In a bid to treat the said chicken pox, the chemist further gave Amina a combination of drugs which included paracetamol, ciproxin, puriton, ciprotob and blood tonic which further worsened the poor girl’s condition.

Later on, the young girl was diagnosed with StevensJohnson syndrome, a “rare, serious skin and mucous membranes disease that is usually caused from reaction to a medication or an infection.

Within an hour, she suffered severe burns on her face and neck. Her lips and tongue got swollen and her eyes became red.

Amina Ibrahim eventually died at the Mohammed Abdullahi Wase Specialist Hospital in Kano State. The chemist has reportedly disappeared and up till now no arrest has been made by the police on the case.

It suspected that Amina was given an expired or fake Septrin. Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a life-threatening skin condition that disfigures the body before finishing off its victim.

The disease often begins with a flu-like symptoms, followed by a painful red or purplish rash that spreads and blisters. Then the top layer of the affected skin dies and sheds.

Septrin is an international brand name for the combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole used for the treatment of certain infections including urinary tract infections; acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis; acute otitis media; PCP; and traveler’s diarrhea.

It is always advised to visit a doctor when one feels sick. This will help avoid falling prey to a local drug seller with no proper knowledge who embark on prescription without running proper tests.