Meru Governor Peter Munya has announced that the government will hire doctors from neighboring countries and Cuba to replace striking doctors.
The Council of Governors chairman made the announcement during the ongoing devolution conference in Naivasha, where he went on to direct doctors who are yet to resume duty to go and sign Recognition Agreements with their individual county governments.
The doctors are, however, insisting that the Recognition Agreements and the CBA as amended and revised should be signed first before they can return to work.
Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union (KMPDU) Secretary General Dr. Ouma Oluga and other union officials have urged the doctors to maintain their resolve insisting that the recognition agreement and CBA must be signed to end the 94-day strike.
In a statement to newsrooms, Oluga said:
”We await to conclude the signing of Recognition Agreements, CBA and then after RTWF as was guided by the Court of Appeal under the Mediation of Religious Leaders. We hope this shall be done soon.”
”While the payroll and the hospital belongs to the government, your skill is selfishly yours. But let nobody make you think that it must be forced on you to use it.”
Meanwhile, Kenyatta National Hospital has sacked 12 doctors for taking part in the 94-day strike.
CEO Lily Koros said they had been advised against participating since the strike was illegal.
Koros further revealed to the press on Wednesday that 48 more doctors were issued with show-cause letters in January and were undergoing disciplinary action.
”The management is now escalating the disciplinary process to have cases determined expeditiously to the full extent provided by the law.”
She directed all striking doctors employed by the teaching and referral hospital to return to work or face disciplinary action that includes summary dismissal, eviction from hospital quarters and other possible administrative actions.