Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero Weighs In On Aftermath Of Monday Protest


Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero has called out the police for using ‘excessive force’ during the IEBC protest staged on Monday by the CORD at Anniversary Towers.

In a statement on Tuesday, Kidero said the brutality shown by police officers threatens Nairobi’s good reputation as a City in which to invest, work and reside. He’s quoted as saying that investors choose environments where they believe the rule of law will be upheld and their properties will not be attacked or looted in the course of violence.

Hear his words:

“This was totally uncalled for, the police are expected to protect wananchi and nothing can justify the physical attacks on peaceful demonstrators who were expressing themselves in a manner allowed by the constitution.

Governor Evans Kidero urged the government to uphold the peace and security of the country.

Governor Evans Kidero

This he says is because the county will be hosting the second United Nations Environment Assembly and UNCTAD/TICAD conferences on May 23-27.

Kidero added:

“Everything should be done to ensure the confidence is not eroded as the city prepares to host such an important event.”

Kidero called on the government and Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) to look into the issue and discipline officers who were involved in the attack against civilians.

He said:

“The government must immediately send clear instructions to the police to stop this excessive use of force and prosecute officers who have used extreme force against protesters.”

CORD co-principal, Raila Odinga, who feels that the current electoral body cannot be trusted to run a fair election come 2017, led a riot against the commission on Monday – which was the third time the coalition is carrying out such protest within a month.

Read Also: Video: Police Clash With CORD Protesters In The Most Brutal War

The party has vowed to keep conducting protests every Monday of the week. But this last Monday protest was among the most brutal they have seen so far. The government had warned that it would not allow destructive protest, urging the agitators to resort to the right path in handling the issue.

Meanwhile, IEBC has maintained that it will not be disbanded unless their accusers bring forward an evidence backing their claims.