Who exactly is Rose Muhando? someone might ask, here’s what we know about this Tanzania born super star, Rose Muhando is a is an East African Swahili gospel artist born 1976 in Dumila village, Kilosa District, Morogoro Region, Tanzania, she was a devout muslim who claimed to have seen a vision of Jesus Christ while she was indisposed on her sick-bed when she was nine years old, it was after that vision that she became healed and converted to Christianity. Rose Muhando started her music career as a choir teacher in Dodoma’s Saint Mary’s Choir for the Chimuli Anglican Church.
14 Things You Need To Know About Rose Muhando
1. Rose Muhando was born in Tanzania, she also grew up in Morogoro Tanzania
2. As a young girl growing up, Rose Muhando attended Madrasa- muslim religious studies after school.
3. A mysterious disease at an early age caused her to be bed-ridden for three years.
4. It was then, while she was down in sickness that Rose Muhando claims to have seen a vision of Jesus Christ who healed her.
5. According to her testimony, the voice said “I am Jesus, I have healed you wake up and go serve me” and she became miraculously healed. She later converted from Islam to Christianity.
6. She converted to Christianity on Easter.
7. She began her music career as a choirmaster in Dodoma Saint Mary’s choir.
8. She was thrown out of the church after declining demands by the church to record with the church choir.
9. She is not married but has three children between 9 and 14 years of age.
10. Rose Muhando vows never to get married as her aim is to only serve God.
11. In 2009, Rose Muhando won the Best Tanzanian Gospel Singer Awards, she also won the Best Singer in Tanzania and got awarded Tsh 200, 000 by Tanzania Broadcasting Corporation TBC under the Umbrella of her song called ‘Nibebe’
12. Earlier on January 31, 2005, Rose Muhando was awarded the best composer, best singer, and for the best album of the year during the Tanzania Gospel Music Award Concert, 2004.
13. On Feb 2011 Rose Muhando signed multi album recording deal with Sony Music. The signing was announced at a press conference in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, on February 9 and is the first deal of its kind for East Africa.
14. In 2008 Kenya groove awards, she won the best female gospel artist in Africa
Here’s what she had to say about her conversion to Christianity
People think that I have a good, smooth life; totally wrong. My life has been plagued by misfortunes from youth. Soon, this routine changed. A mysterious disease that left me bedridden for three years attacked me. My skin was peeling,and I had a gushing wound in my head that oozed smelly pus.
My parents also took me to witchdoctors, but no luck there. Finally, they took me home and I lay on a bed awaiting my death.” But one night, remembers Muhando, as her parents sat outside their grass thatched house, probably reflecting on their fate, a bright light engulfed their house. I saw a bright light. Then a hand clad in white, with a scar in the palm descended from the light and touched my wound. Then a soft voice, exuding authority said, “I am Jesus. I have healed you. Wake up and go serve me.” The light disappeared. Muhando says she ran to her parents shouting, “I am healed, I am healed. They were astounded. For three years, I had not lifted myself from the bed.
I did not know who Jesus was. But while in class seven, the same voice would speak to me regularly, urging me to serve him (Jesus). I became a loner as I feared my school mates would hear the voice speaking to me.
On Easter Friday, I was baptised at 3pm, the same time Jesus, after he was crucified, had said imekwisha (It is finished). That marked my new beginning. I live in Dodoma with my children. The first-born, Gift Sheheba and the last born, Maxmillian, love to sing while the second born, Nicholas Winton, is quite and loves to pray.
According to Kenyan-Post.com, the star who is also a mother of three children has vowed never to get married in her life because she has committed her life to God.
Some Rose Muhando Songs and Albums Include:
1.Mteule Uwe Macho,2004
- Nyota ya Ajabu,2010. 5.Utamu Wa Yesu,2011 “Rose Mhando steals show at Nane Nane” 2004-08-14. Retrieved 2007-05-12.
- Presenting The Dynamic Gospel Singer — Rose Muhando
- “Rose Mhando’s Popularity Dilemma” . 2005. Retrieved 2007-05-12.