US Deadly Strike Murders 150 Terrorists, Weakens Al Shabaab


A US strike has killed hundreds of people reportedly al Shabaab members after it had targeted al Shabaab training camp in Somalia with its drone strike, the Pentagon has said.

AFP news agency reports that the fighter were conducting their training for a large scale attack before the US targeted the group at that time.

It was also revealed that the camp had about 200 fighters on it, including Al-Shabaab trainers, but US is certain about 150 died after the bombardment.

Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis is quoted as saying.

The fighters were there training and were training for a large-scale attack. We know they were going to be departing the camp and they posed an imminent threat to US and [African Union] forces.

Initial assessments are that more than 150 terrorist fighters were eliminated.

The al Shabaab trainees were passing out, ready to carry out a heavy heinous attack against its enemy before the U.S drone attack hit the group’s territory.

Read Also: Somali President: Al Shabaab Killed Over 180 Kenyan Troops In El Adde

Capt Davis said the strike took place at a camp that is about 195km (120 miles) north of the capital, Mogadishu.

It is also obtained from a U.S. official that the Al-Shabaab fighters were standing outside in military formation when the strike took place.

Al-Shabaab is yet to release a video or statement about the mass killing.

Capt Davis added that U.S Special Operation forces had been monitoring and observing the camp for a good number of weeks.

And it was found that the group has been under training for a while and was in the last phase of getting ready to execute a massive attack.

Read Also: Security Alert: Al Shabaab Plotting To Make An Extensive Attack Against Kenya

According to Defense officials, the strike was done successfully by drones and American aircrafts, which dropped a number of precision-guided bombs and missiles on the field where the terrorists were gathered.

Pentagon officials revealed that they did not believe there were any civilian casualties, but there was no way to independently verify the claim.

Read Also: Al Shabaab Leader Fusses About El Adde Raid, Warns Kenya In New Video

They also hinted that they took some time before making the big announcement in order to accurately assess the result.

The Saturday attack is tagged the deadliest attack on the Shabaab since the over a decade-long American fight against the group, an affiliate of Al Qaeda.

This also takes previous American strikes to a whole a new level, which have focused on the leaders of the group, not on its foot soldiers.

In a statement, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook stated that the strike was carried out to provide a shield to the “U.S’s African Union Mission” in Somalia as the “fighters who were scheduled to depart the camp posed an imminent threat” to the mission.

He added that

The removal of these fighters degrades Al-Shabaab’s ability to meet the group’s objectives in Somalia, including recruiting new members, establishing bases, and planning attacks on U.S. and African Union forces.

The name of the locations where the US thought the horrific group was targeting to carry out attacks were not named.

Read Also: Al Shabaab’s Plan To Attack President Uhuru’s GSU Parade Fails

But it is no longer news that the U.S. does not have very strong military presence at the airport in Mogadishu. Plus the tiny number of U.S. Special Operations forces have been deployed to several locations in the country.