There may be many causes of impotence in men but little do we know that riding Boda boda for long hours can lead to a man’s erectile function.
Research conducted by Bungoma County reveals that the popularly used motorcycle taxis called Boda boda are among the top causes of impotence in Kenyan men.
In its findings, the county discovered that riding of the motorcycle, as well as truck driving, causes erectile dysfunction and prostate cancer.
The research was carried out among 230 participants, of which 115 were sugarcane cutters and 115 are boda boda riders. In the two, the research found that the boda-boda riders were the most affected by erectile dysfunction.
The findings were published in the East African Medical Journal.
For those who don’t know, impotence is the inability for one to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse or achieve an erection.
The risk of the condition increased in proportion to the number of hours the individual spent riding the boda-boda, Bungoma County stated.
“None of those who rode for more than 60 hours per week had a normal erectile function. The type of bicycle used was significantly associated with the quality of erection and hardness of erection score,” added Dr Aggrey Akula, Western Kenya lead gynaecologist.
Dr Akula emphasised that those using non-motorized bicycles stand a greater risk than those who rode motorcycles.
Dr Francis Kagema, a gynaecologist and one of the authors of the study, added that smoking, alcohol intake and diabetes mellitus are also increasingly causing erectile dysfunction among men under the age of 40 years.
Meanwhile, medical scientists say male erectile dysfunction can result from a problem with trouble getting an erection; Trouble keeping an erection; Reduced sexual desire.
It is also believed that a combination of physical and psychological issues can sometimes cause erectile dysfunction. This may include stress, anxiety and mental health concerns.
Physical Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
In many cases, erectile dysfunction is caused by something physical. Common causes include:
- Heart disease
- Clogged blood vessels (atherosclerosis)
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Metabolic syndrome — a condition involving increased blood pressure, high insulin levels, body fat around the waist and high cholesterol
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Certain prescription medications
- Tobacco use
- Peyronie’s disease — development of scar tissue inside the penis
- Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse
- Sleep disorders
- Treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate
- Surgeries or injuries that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord
Impotence In Men: When to See A Doctor
See your doctor if:
- You have concerns about your erections or you’re experiencing other sexual problems such as premature or delayed ejaculation
- You have diabetes, heart disease or another known health condition that might be linked to erectile dysfunction
- You have other symptoms along with erectile dysfunction