Bomet Governor

Bomet Governor Isaac Rutto was on Monday airlifted to a Nairobi hospital to seek further treatment after a police tear gas canister hit him during a confrontation on Sunday.

The Governor arrived Wilson airport at around 8:50am where he addressed the media with a swollen face and a red eye before heading to the hospital.

Read Also: Martha Karua Announces Candidacy For Kirinyaga Governor Seat

He said police officers threw tear gas canisters at him when he questioned why some youths had been arrested.

“The youths claimed that some of them had been arrested by police on suspicion that they were his supporters,” said Director of Communications Kiprotich Samoei.

“Rutto was then forced to go to the station and ask the security in charge to release the arrested youths. An argument ensued between him and the police officers as a handful of his supporters joined him in asking the police to release the arrested youths.”

Samoei said an officer tried to strike the Governor first, before other police officers lobbed tear gas canisters directly at the Governor.

Read Also: EACC Maps Out Harsh Punishment For Governors Who Snub Senate Summons

Contradicting reports say that the Governor’s supporters clashed with National Assembly Deputy Speaker Joyce Laboso’s supporters during a football match.

The supporters pelted each other with stones, prompting the police to make a few arrests.

Governor Rutto then arrived the scene escorted by his supporters chanting Chama Cha Mashinani slogans. The chaos then started when the Governor and his supporters confronted the police officers. They then lobbed teargas to disperse the crowd.

Read Also: Nelson Marwa Threatens To Arrest Mombasa Governor

One canister hit the Governor below his right eye, from which he sustained a cut, as his security team whisked him away.

The Bomet Governor received first aid on his way home and later saw a doctor who dressed the wound. They later opted to come to Nairobi for further medical attention.