Guesthouse Caretaker Arrested As Government Imposes Curfew In Mandera

The Kenyan government has announced a 60-day dusk to dawn curfew in Mandera Town effective immediately.

The Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery issued the two-month curfew order on Thursday following the recent deadly attacks by suspected Al-Shabaab militants.

Read Also: Gunmen Attack Guesthouse In Mandera – 12 Dead

Residents in Mandera town will now be required to be indoors by 6:30pm to 6:30am daily beginning Thursday to December 27.

The curfew will also affect Omar Jillo, Arabia, Fino, Lafey Kotulo, Elwak and the environs extending to twenty kilometers from the Kenya-Somalia Border.

Militants have easily crossed the porous Kenya-Somalia border to carry out attacks in Kenya in retaliation for Kenya’s support for the Mogadishu government which it wants to overthrow.

Following the latest attack, Anti-Terrorism Police have arrested Abdirahman Ali, the guesthouse’s caretaker.

Read Also: Terror Suspect Ismael Shosi Killed After Shootout With Police In Mombasa

A court in Mandera on Thursday morning allowed the officers to hold the caretaker for 10 days as investigations continue. He is suspected to have aided the attackers since he did not sleep in the lodge on that fateful day as he usually did.

In the affidavit, Constable Opondo stated that the caretaker is suspected of engaging in organized criminal activities in Mandera Town.

”He is the caretaker of the lodge and, through credible intelligence, we believe he supported the terror attack at Bishaaro Hotel and Lodging leading to [the] murder of 12 and injury of 4,” states the affidavit.

The police also added that Mr. Ali failed to report the attack to any security agency until his arrest on Tuesday.

Read Also: Sailors Captured By Pirates And Held In Somalia Since 2012 Freed

In his defence, the caretaker told the court that he informed a Kenya Police Reservist of the planned attack.

”I told a KPR called Hussein of the attack two days before it happened and on that day, I was not on duty as we worked on shifts of three days with my other colleague,” said Ali.

The other colleague who was newly employed identified as Abdikadir Abdi Adan, died in the attack that night.