German giants Bayern Munich on Thursday announced the sacking of coach Carlo Ancelotti.
The club’s board decided to dismiss the Italian, who replaced Pep Guardiola at the start of last season, hours after their Champions League defeat at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain.
“Following an internal analysis in Munich on Thursday 28 September 2017… the club is to part company with head coach Carlo Ancelotti with immediate effect,” Bayern said in a statement on their website.
The 58-year-old coach helped Bayern win the Bundesliga last season, but only reached the last eight of the Champions League and the German Cup semi-finals.
A poor start to the new campaign which put them three points behind league leaders Borussia Dortmund plus Wednesday night’s 3-0 in Paris forced the decision.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said:
“The performance of our team since the start of the season did not meet the expectations we put to them.”
“The game in Paris clearly showed that we had to draw consequences… Carlo is my friend and will remain so, but we had to make a professional decision in the interests of FC Bayern. I now expect the team to have a positive development and top performance, so we can reach our goals for this season.”
Ex-France international and former Bayern player, Willy Sagnol, who had been serving as an assistant to Ancelotti, has been named the interim coach.
Ancelotti has coached Parma, Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid.
Despite last night’s defeat, he is the joint most successful manager in European Cup history, along with former Liverpool boss Bob Paisley.
He won the Champions League three times; twice with Milan in 2003 and 2007, and with Madrid in 2014.
Potential replacements on the Bayern hot seat include former Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel, current Hoffenheim boss Julian Nagelsmann, and current Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp.