Ninety-five police officers have been admitted to several hospitals after they tested positive for cholera.

The officers were among the 340 who provided security during last week’s presidential petition hearings at the Supreme Court.

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko confirmed the report, noting that 88 of these cases are in the city.

Read Also: Nairobi Cholera Outbreak: More Than 30 People Hospitalized

In a statement on Monday, Sonko said 57 officers were on Sunday admitted at Sinai Hospital in Rongai, Kajiado County after they tested positive for the bacterial disease. He added that 26 cases were also confirmed at Nairobi Women’s Hospital and 12 at Kenyatta National Hospital.

He noted teams from the national and county governments were responding to the outbreak and that investigations will ascertain the report and confirm the source of infection.

“It has been reported that all patients are stable and that the situation is under control,” he said.

“I appeal to all people…do not panic as adequate controls have been put in place to prevent the spread of the disease.”

Sonko further asked all Nairobi residents to observe high standards of hygiene and ensure their food is clean and properly cooked.

The officers are said to have contracted the disease at Multi Media University where they had been booked. The first case was reported on Saturday after a few of them complained of stomach disorders, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Read Also: Let’s Unite To Improve Kenya’s Health Sector – Mailu

Vice chancellor Paul Mbatia has, however, dismissed those claims saying the officers contracted the disease elsewhere.

He said the officers were only served supper and breakfast at the premises and got their other meals from elsewhere.

“If the officers had contracted the disease here, cases would be rampant as there are other guests we served the same meal. We suspect they might have contracted the disease else where.”

He added the officers would have left today had it not been for the outbreak.

“We are hoping that all the experts will move in after the officers leave to thoroughly investigate and give us a clean bill of health.”

This recent case of cholera follows the reported outbreaks at Weston Hotel and the KICC in the last few months.