Council of Governors Refute Claims They Snubbed Mutahi Kahiga’s Swearing-In


The Council of Governors has refuted claims that they purposefully snubbed Mutahi Kahiga’s swearing-in as Nyeri Governor on Monday.

Kahiga, who was formerly the Deputy Governor of the county, was sworn in as the fourth boss of the county on Monday following the death of Governor Wahome Gakuru last week.

Read Also: Nyeri Governorship: Former Deputy Governor Mutahi Kahiga Sworn-In

The colorful occasion was graced by political leaders from the county, including Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen and Kirinyaga Deputy Governor Peter Ndambiri.

However, not one single governor from the other 46 counties witnessed the inauguration.

Council of Governors’ director of communication, Andrew Teyie, has addressed the rumors saying the council could not attend due to time constraints.

“The council was invited to the ceremony on Sunday evening. However, due to the short timing of the ceremony, the council registered its apologizes,” Teiye said in a statement on Tuesday.



The statement added that chairman Josephat Nanok was also away on official duty so could not have snubbed Mutahi Kahiga’s swearing-in.

“Nanok is out of the country on official duty but has congratulated his brother Kahiga. The CoG fully supports Kahiga and is wholly involved in planning Gakuru’s funeral planning,” he said.

Read Also: Wahome Gakuru Becomes The Second Nyeri Governor To Die In Office

The director further said the Council of Governors is non-partisan and fully supports all 47 counties in the country.

“We urge all to stick to the issue at hand as the council lays to rest one of its members.”

Governor Wahome Gakuru was on his way to Nairobi for a morning talk show at Kameme TV when his vehicle was involved in a grisly accident near Kabati on Thika-Muranga highway.

The 51-year-old was only in office for about 90 days as he was elected in the August 8 general election.