More Deaths, School Children Teargassed In IEBC Riot

Aftermath of IEBC riot held on Monday has shown that two men were killed in western Siaya town while another man was killed in the lake city of Kisumu. 

Assistant inspector-general of police, George Kinoti, when asked about the casualty figure during the IEBC riot, refused to comment on it, but assured that an official statement would be issued later.

Thereafter, police released a statement denying that they shot dead a protester in the western city of Kisumu. Regional police commander Willy Lugusa also dismissed report that they used live ammunition to disperse protesters. The police said:

“The injury he has was in the mouth which is very much consistent with somebody who was running and then fell down.”

Officials at Aga Khan Hospital in Kisumu, where the man was brought by ambulance, said the man had no gunshot wounds. Some other security and medical sources confirmed that three people lost their lives during the clashes between police and opposition supporters in Kenya.

Masked Policeman

A policeman was caught wearing a mask in Nairobi during the much-talked about stand-off, apparently not to allow a repeat of last week’s castigation, which saw the police strongly slammed after photos and videos showed them brutalizing protesters.


Police also reportedly fired tear gas to disperse protesters in the capital, Nairobi. It was also found that in Kibera slum in the capital, Nairobi, tear gas was thrown inside a school during the protests against the electoral commission.

Tension was also very high in Nakuru, as police bundled off several protesters. Some witnesses said the police were looking for MCA Daniel Ambale who was leading the protests to kick out IEBC commissioners from office. A witness told us:

“Ambale zipped off in a motorcycle when he knew was after him.”

Read Also: BREAKING: Fatality At IEBC Demonstration As Police Fire Gunshots, Tear Gas

Earlier, the police fired teargas to split hundreds of protesters demonstrating in Mombasa county, arresting other protest leaders. Mombasa assembly speaker and an MCA were also arrested.

Speaker Thadius Rajwahi and Junda MCA Paul Onje didn’t miss the police van as they were seized and booked at Central police station in Mombasa. Amidst the gruesome reports on IEBC riot, CORD leaders at a conference that has just concluded confirmed that protests will still hold next Monday. They also accused govt of heavy handed tactics.

Read Also: IEBC Protests Take Unexpected Twist As Evil Plot Looms

The opposition Coalition for Reforms and Democracy also reports that one of its senators, who was supposed to guide the protest in the western town of Kakamega, has been detained. Kakamega senator, Boni Khalwale was seized by ploice alongside two other youths in Kakamega as he was trying to address the crowd.

This is the fourth Monday in a row that has seen protests end bloody since the opposition called on government to remove IEBC commissioners from office. Cord leader Raila Odinga has on several occasions, accused the IEBC of bias towards the Jubilee government, calling for its disbandment.

IEBC officials have dismissed the claims and reiterated they will stay in office until certain conditions are met. President Uhuru Kenyatta has also urged Cord not to stage street anti-IEBC protest, begging them to pursue other peaceful  alternatives. The coalition nonetheless urged the police to provide security during their anti-IEBC protests after allegations that three Jubilee politicians were plotting to hire armed criminal gangs to cause war.

Scores of GSU officers were sent to Uhuru Garden along Moi Avenue where Cord leaders were said to begin the protest. ODM deputy party leader Hassan Ali Joho was expected to lead the protest, but the IEBC riot began before he could step out to join the crew.