Breaking News! Former First Lady Lucy Kibaki Dies

Former first lady, Lucy Kibaki, has died at age 76, in Bupa Cromwell Hospital in London, after an undisclosed month-long illness. Though her family did not name the illness, reports suggest that she suffered from age-related complications.

Born in 1940 in Mukurweini, she was born to Reverend John Kagai and Rose Nyachomba. She enrolled in Alliance Girls High School before getting trained as a teacher. She later became the principal of a teacher training college in Kiambu.

Mrs Kibaki later resigned from her teaching job not long after her marriage in 1962 to raise her four children – Judy Wanjiku, Jimmy Kibaki, David Kagai and Tony Githinji. She became somewhat more famous after she slapped a photojournalist in 2005 when she stormed the offices of a private media group to express her anger at the way the organization had reported a story about her.

She later withdrew from public life towards the ending part of her husband’s tenure and was seen last in the public events in August 2010 – when she, in celebration of a newly adopted constitution, danced to a famous gospel song.

Her death has also prompted several tributes online with Kenyans using the hashtags #RIPMamaLucy and other terms to express their sorrow online.

Read Also: Former First Lady, Lucy Kibaki Seriously Sick, Recieving Treatment In ICU, Nairobi Hospital

The foreign minister has sent words of condolences, describing her as a defender of women’s rights.

In a tribute to Mrs Kibaki, President Uhuru Kenyatta recalled her effort in rooting out HIV/AIDS in Kenya and lauded her for her active participation. The president revealed that she had been sick for the last month, receiving treatment in both Kenya and the UK.

Mr Kenyatta said in a statement.

“Her Excellency will be remembered for her immense contribution in the development of country.”

Read Also: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Former First lady Lucy Kibaki

Last month, the former First Lady fell ill and was rushed to the Nairobi Hospital where she was reportedly kept at Intensive Care Unit. She was earlier taken to Gertrude’s Children’s Hospital for emergency care.