Kennedy Musyoka the son of former Vice President and current NASA Deputy flagbearer Kalonzo Musyoka has revealed the real reason why he was nominated to the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) by his father’s Wiper Democratic Movement debunking the nepotism rumours.
Ken’s nomination ensued a political brouhaha with the opposition Jubilee Party strongly opposing his addition to the 4-person list submitted to the National Assembly while accusing his father of nepotism.
The opposition party called on the Coalition of Reforms and Democracy (Cord) to make room on the list for the addition of more names, however, Cord refused, thus, increasing the ever growing tensions between the two opposing teams.
The unresolved controversial issue has led to a lack of quorum which has, in turn, stifled operations at the EALA headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
While Ken’s potential role remains uncertain, the ex VP’s son has decided to voice his opinion on the matter.
Speaking in an interview with Nation, Kennedy Musyoka linked his nomination to the fact that he has been making outstanding contributions to the Wiper Party while working for them as a consultant.
“I have been consulting for the Wiper Party for a while now, something I immensely enjoy. I have been making my own contribution in strategy and I believe that is how I ended up with the nomination,” junior Musyoka said.
He also pointed out that having a long-term relationship with the Wiper Party didn’t earn him preferential treatment at the interview for the selection.
“I faced a panel of 23 interviewers. It was the most intimidating experience I have ever had. They went out of their way to challenge and grill me,” said Ken.
Should the nomination earn him the seat, Kennedy Musyoka would become the youngest Kenyan representative to the EALA. Speaking of his primary agenda at the Assembly, Musyoka said he would “represent the interests of Kenya in the East African community and to safeguard the interests of Kenya”.
As of now, the 30-year old remains the secretary general of his father’s Kalonzo Musyoka Foundation which has recently come under fire over money laundering allegations.
Here is a brief background information about the former VP’s son
Fast Facts About Kennedy Musyoka
- Kennedy Musyoka was born in 1987 as the first son to former Kenyan Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka and his wife Pauline.
- Born with a silver spoon, Ken had the opportunity to attend some of the best schools in Kenya. For his secondary education, Ken attended Nairobi’s prestigious Brookhouse School.
- After high school graduation, he proceeded to the University of New Castle, New South Wales, Australia where he studied politics, public policy and international relations.
- After graduating in 2010, he returned to Kenya and landed a job at Equity Bank headquarters in Nairobi working in the legal department.
- While working, he trained as a teller at Equity Bank’s Moi Avenue Branch and also enrolled at the University of Nairobi where he graduated with a law degree in 2014.
- Speaking to Nation about his stint at Equity Bank, Ken said; “I had the pleasure of interacting with top management at Equity Bank. But the teller’s job is very difficult. I toughened up and now I believe I am able to work anywhere.”
- Ken is soon to bag another achievement, a law diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
- Some of his hobbies include reading biographies and poetry.