Technical Staff

The Labour Court has ordered Kenya Airways to immediately reinstate the 157 engineers and technicians sacked last week.

Judge Hellen Wasilwa on Monday noted that the safety of travelers on flights that have not been serviced prompted her decision.

Read Also: Two Kenya Airways Staff Arrested For Suspected Drug Trafficking

Kenya Airways had last week sacked over 150 technical staff who embarked on a strike over pay after issuing warning letters.

The technical staff began their threats of a strike/ a go-slow on Wednesday as the pushed for salary increases, threatening massive flight cancellations and disruption of services.

During a media briefing, the aggrieved workers said Kenya Airways had been ignoring their concerns about pay.

“We sent a letter to the CEO and wrote him an email but he neglected us. The reason we are here is disturbing. We have been trying to engage management on payment issues,” said an engineer.

In the letter to chief executive Sebastian Mikosz dated November 16, the technical team noted that the issue of payment increase was resolved by the board in December 2016 with funds released.

The technical director has, however, reportedly not released the funds to date.

The engineer said their salaries are much less than what they were promised and that they want an increase and an explanation as to what happened with the released funds.

Read Also: Kenya Airways Gets U.S. Government Approval For Direct Flights

The airline quickly followed up the technical staff’s threats by issuing a warning earlier in the day before resorting to dismissing them that evening via e-mail.

Among the technical staff dismissed were employees in charge of base and line maintenance, technical workshops, cabin and in-flight entertainment, multi-crew cooperation, and technical assistance.

Two days after the sacking, Kenya Airways put out an advertisement for engineer and technician positions

“Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for engineers and technicians,” KQ said in a notice on Friday.

The case at the labor court will be heard on Wednesday as workers are set to resume their jobs with immediate effect.