A Form One student has been charged with nine counts of murder over the deadly Moi Girls School fire that claimed nine lives on September 2.
The 14-year-old student whose identity was not revealed denied all the charges.
She was accompanied by her parents to the court sitting which held just a day after the bodies of the nine girls were identified through DNA tests.
Justice Luka Kimaru freed the student on a KSh200,000 cash bail among other conditions pending the hearing and determination of the case.
The student had earlier been remanded for a period of seven days to allow police conclude its investigations.
The Moi Girls School fire incident which took the lives of innocent pupils, as well as reduced property worth millions to dust, is reported to have started around 2 am at the dormitory hosting Form one students.
Tens of students suffered suffocation and fainted before being rushed to nearby health facilities like the Kenyatta National Hospital and Nairobi Women’s Hospital for medical attention.
Kibra Administration Police boss, Enos Maloba had said he strongly believes the fire was as a result of an electric fault. He added that a team of experts has been dispatched to the school to investigate the matter.
Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i who visited the school condoled with the parents who lost their kids in the fire. He went on to direct all government investigative agencies to probe the matter and submit a report on the cause of the inferno.
“We don’t want this to be one of those cases we say we will investigate and we will tell you. We have decided we will do all the investigation now,” said Matiang’i
“We have invited everyone who needs to be here and have cordoned off the dormitory that burned. We are not going to wait till tomorrow,” he added.
The girls who died in the tragedy are Esther Neema, Nancy Wamuthuri Thuku, Hanna Jeyso Timado, Hawa Haziz, Mary Njengo Mokaya, Alakiir Malong, Natalie Asiko, Whitney Kerubo and Marcia Okello.