Nyeri County Governor Wahome Gakuru has passed away from injuries sustained in a grisly motor accident on the Thika-Kenol highway.
Dr. Gakuru died on Tuesday, November 7, 2017, while receiving treatment at Thika Level 5 Hospital.
He becomes the second Nyeri Governor to pass on while in office in less than 12 months after the late Nderitu Gachagua who died in February at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London while undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer.
According to police reports, the accident that killed the governor was caused by a tire burst amid heavy rains.
Governor Wahome Gakuru and his entourage were heading to Nairobi for a talk show on Inooro TV when the accident occurred in the early hours of the morning.
The tire burst caused the governor’s Mercedez Benz to lose control and veer off the road to ram into the rail guard. The metal barrier speared through the vehicle, inflicting fatal injuries on the county boss and other occupants.
Other occupants of the vehicle include driver Samuel Kinyanjui Wanyaga, Personal Assistant Albert Kaguru, and bodyguard Ahmed Abdi.
They were all rushed to Thika Level 5 Hospital for emergency treatment and are set to be transferred to Nairobi Hospital for further treatment. Gakuru succumbed to his injuries.
Lesser Known Facts About Governor Wahome Gakuru
- He was a lecturer at the School of Business, University of Nairobi since 1994 where he taught to the PhD Level.
- He was the Director of Marketing, Policy and Advocacy at Equity Bank from 2008-2010.
- Wahome was the first Director of the Kenya Vision 2030 at the Presidency and Cabinet Affairs Office and later at the Ministry of State for Planning, National Development and Vision 2030.
- He was also the Director, Social Sector Department at the National Economic and Social Council (NESC) and the Head of Strategy Development at the National AIDS Control Council.
- He contested under a TNA ticket for the Governship of Nyeri County in 2013 losing to the late Nderitu Gachagua.
- The governor had a PhD from Arizona State University, USA, a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Willamette University, USA majoring in strategy, and another MBA from the University of Nairobi, Kenya majoring in Marketing and a Bachelor of Commerce (Honors) from University of Nairobi.
- He was the facilitator on Strategic Management issues for the EU Delegation to Kenya and Somalia, November 2004.
- Wahome served in an advisory capacity in significant institutions such as KCA as a member the University Governing Council, Diabetes Management and Information Centre, the Advisory Council of the African Competitiveness Forum, The Competitiveness Institute, among others.
May His Soul Rest In Peace.