The US outgoing President Obama has received Pentagon Medal for distinguished Public Service.
The medal was issued to him by the US defence Secretary Ashton Carter on Wednesday, January 4, during the Armed Forces Full Honor Farewell Review for the President held at Conmy Hall, Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Virginia.
Carter insisted that the medal was a token of appreciation for Obama service as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.
After spending the last few weeks throwing roadblocks in the path of President-elect Donald Trump and his transition team, Obama nonetheless claimed in his remarks to the members of the military in attendance that “We’ve got to make sure that during this transition period that there is a seamless passing of the baton, that there’s continuity.”
The US outgoing President Obama has received numerous awards since he became President.
Here’s a list of awards received by President Obama since his inception as the US President:
- Freedom of the city of Cape Town award,
- Noble Peace Prize (2009),
- Best spoken word Album, Grammy awards from the audio versions of his books; Dreams from my father (2006) and the audacity of hope (Feb. 2008), Daytime Emmy awards from the concessional speech “Yes We Can”
- 2013 NME Award for Hero of the Year
- 2014 “Ambassador of Humanity” Award from the USC Shoah Foundation Institute for Visual History and Education
- 2011 Transparency Award jointly offered by OMB Watch, the National Security Archive, the Project on Government Oversight, the Reporters’ Committee for Freedom of the Press and OpenTheGovernment.org.
- 2013 Israeli President’s Medal of Distinction
- 2008 Harold Washington Award from the Congressional Black Caucus as well as the 2008 Phoenix Award from the CBC Foundation, Inc
On the recent award of distinguished Public Service US outgoing President Obama received on Jan. 4, there have been mixed reactions amongst the people.
CBS News White House correspondent Mark Knoller also marked the ceremony with a Tweet to his followers.
Defense Secy Carter presents Pres Obama with Dept of Defense Medal for Distinguished Public Service. pic.twitter.com/a5DihpPRnA
— Mark Knoller (@markknoller) January 4, 2017
This was a stunning and bizarre move even for the Narcissist-in-Chief Obama, and Americans immediately reacted to it — some likened the award to a much maligned “participation medal” and others were skeptical of Obama’s underling giving his own boss a medal.
According to the comments, some said that he gave himself the medal which he didn’t deserve. Others said that the President have appointed Carter so he can be awarded the Pentagon Medal for distinguished Public Service.
One of the commenters said President Obama gets awards always for nothing.