Outrage As Police Blame Gang For The Shooting Of 7-Year-Old Schoolboy

A 7-year-old schoolboy, Geoffrey Mutinda, was on Tuesday shot and killed in Nairobi’s Pipeline Estate as he played with his friends on a balcony.

A pregnant woman on the same balcony was also hit by the same bullet in the thigh. She was rushed to Shalom hospital in Athi River and later transferred to Machakos hospital where she was operated on.

Read Also: Police Kill Three In Retaliation For Death Of Two Officers

Residents of the estate accused a police officer who regularly conducts security patrols in the area of killing the child and shooting the woman.

One resident said the officer was riding a motorcycle with two other colleagues in civilian clothes when he fired the killer shot. They called on the government to take appropriate action.

Pressure has been mounting on the government as well as the police hierarchy ever since to arrest the officer who according to the residents, usually visits places frequented by youths who play pool in the area and extorts them.

The police had kept mum on the situation saying investigations were ongoing. They have now come out to deny that an officer was involved in the fatal shooting of the seven-year-old boy.

Nairobi Police Commander Japheth Koome on Wednesday evening said the 7-year-old schoolboy was shot by criminals during a clash between police and National Super Alliance (NASA) supporters.

In a statement, the National Police Service said there were no active police operations in Pipeline Estate where the shooting occurred.

There was, however, one around Jacaranda grounds and it’s environs in Donholm, about 5 kilometers away, where the police were trying to deal with rioters.

Violence hit parts of Eastlands, including Donholm and Jacaranda on Tuesday as supporters of NASA engaged police in running battles as they protested the swearing in of President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto.

Read Also: Riot Breaks Out After Police Kill Two Women In Kisii

Meanwhile, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) has announced that they have launched investigations into the incident.

In a statement, IPOA said it had dispatched its Rapid Response Unit to investigate the incident with a view of establishing circumstances of the shooting and ensure that, if culpability is established, the officer responsible faces the full force of the law.

Upon conclusion of the probe, IPOA will make recommendations and forward the investigation file to the Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko for further action.