A teenager thought dead following a dog bite has sent shivers down the spine of his family after he woke up on the way to his funeral.
The boy, identified as Kumar Marewad, was presumed to have died after he stopped breathing and moving, prompting his parents to call the villagers in Dharwad’s Managundi village, India, to prepare for a funeral before the shocking moment happened.
The boy was said to have come down with a high fever after a stray dog bit him about a month ago. He was then rushed and admitted to a Dharwad hospital.
Kumar’s condition deteriorated after he was brought to the hospital and he was put on life support. Doctors told his relatives that things were not looking up and that they should expect the worse.
They said an infection had spread throughout his body, leaving Kumar’s family to decide whether or not to carry on with treatment or letting him move on peacefully.
The family chose the later and decided to take him home. Kumar’s brother-in-law said;
”We had decided to take Kumar home after doctors told us his chances of survival were bleak once taken off the ventilator.”
Kumar eventually stopped moving or breathing for some time according to his parents and other family members. They presumed he was dead.
They then asked for arrangements to be made for his funeral and headed straight to perform his last rites.
India Times reports that barely two kilometers from the village where the funeral was to take place, Kumar miraculously opened his eyes and started breathing fast as he moved his limbs.
The 17-year-old was immediately rushed to a hospital where he was put back on a ventilator.
Doctors have described what they suspect the teenager thought dead is suffering from as meningoencephalitis; an infection caused by dog bite.
Meningoencephalitis is a medical condition that simultaneously resembles meningitis. It is an inflammatory process, most often due to viral infection, involving both the brain and meninges.