Video of Another Miracle Rescue: Woman Found Alive Six Days After Building Collapse

Six days from the strongest shock by Huruma building collapse, rescuers dig out out a woman buried beneath the rubble alive, just days after the miraculous rescue of a 6 month old baby that caused sounds of cheers from onlookers.

A senior official at the site said the woman, who had survived in countless of broken masonry since the building fell on Friday night, was immediately attended to by doctors on site. The doctors placed her under oxygen support and connected an intravenous drip to boost her strength.

The life discovery on Thursday raises the hopes of the families members who have been waiting not so patiently to learn the fate of their loved ones. Rescuers continue to heave out debris in desperate search for dozens of people trapped or buried alive in the deadly collapse nearly a week now.

This is because earlier this week rescuers said there was little chance of finding any more survivors despite the fact that a baby was pulled out of the debris on Tuesday, dehydrated but unscathed.

Read Also: Death Toll Grows After Residential Building Collapse In Huruma, Nairobi

The baby was reunited with her father, but Masai said the baby’s mother was confirmed among those dead. Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre manager Pius Masai told the media that she couldn’t move when she was found, but she is stable. He added that the woman had spoken to doctors on site.

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero reported via Facebook on Thursday that the woman is yet to be identified.

Kidero wrote:

“The team of doctors looking after her, led by Nairobi Health executive Bernard Muia will ensure she is rushed to hospital for further medical checks,”.

The death toll from the collapse of the building has risen above 35. But only seven of the bodies have been identified. The exercise to rescue more people, previously slated to end on Thursday, has been frustrated by lack of access to the part of the building that is close to river and poor turn-out of families.

As a consequence the rescuers said it will take them up till weekend to conclude work at the site. Nearly all the survivors of the incident are finding shelters in a temporal camp at Huruma hall where well wishers donate food, beverages, and so on, to them.

CORD leaders visited the camp and donated Sh2 million, 400kgs of sugar, 50 bundles of maize flour, 30 crates of drinking water and five bundles of blankets.

So far, rescuers have saved a total of 137 people including the latest miracle rescue. Scores are still missing, but Kenya Red Cross officials said it hopes to conclude clearance of the rubble this weekend. The building in Huruma collapsed last Friday night after days of heavy rain. The Interior ministry said the building had been built close to a river and earmarked for demolition, but local authorities had not acted on the order.

Two brothers along with other three suspects linked to the building were arraigned in court on Wednesday and were released on Sh1 million bond each. Brothers Samuel Kamau and Henry Muiruri, Crispus Ndinyo, Justus Kathenge and Seline Ogallo pleaded not guilty to the charges of manslaughter.